Cook1 hr 30 mins
Low GI, very tasty. This recipe makes two 11-inch pizzas.
Make and share this Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 ounce sachet dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 ounces red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons picked thyme leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 1⁄2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- To make the pizza crust, place the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Add 3/4 cup lukewarm water and use a flat-bladed knife to mix until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Place in a light oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour.
- To make the caramelized onions, heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add the onion, thyme and garlic, and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 23-30 minutes, or until the onions are very soft. Add the sugar and vinegar, and increase the heat to high. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the onions start to caramelize. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Lightly grease two bake proof trays.
- Use your fist to pound the dough. Divide into two. Roll both portions and place on two bake proof trays.
- Spread the caramelized onions over both of the dough bases and sprinkle over the goat cheese.
- Bake the pizzas, turning the trays halfway through cooking for 15-20 minute, or until the top are golden and the bases are crisp.