Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
A Swedish dessert found on epicurious. The top of this tart can be caramelized brulee style or simply sprinkled with powdered sugar. Prep time does not include 3 hours chilling prior to serving.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- powdered sugar
- for crust: Combine flour, sugar and salt in processor.
- Add butter; cut in using on/off turns until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Mix yolk and ice water in small bowl.
- Add to crumb mixture; process until dough begins to clump together.
- Press over bottom and up sides of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Trim edges.
- Pierce crust all over with fork.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line crust with foil.
- Fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake until crust is set, about 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans.
- Continue baking until pale golden, pressing with back of fork if crust bubbles, about 20 minutes longer.
- Transfer crust to rack.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- for filling: Whisk eggs, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, cream and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; whisk to blend well.
- Pour filling into tart shell.
- Bake tart until filling is set, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer tart to rack and cool.
- Refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sift powdered sugar over tart.
- Broil until caramelized, watching closely, about 1 minute.
- Refrigerate tart 15 minutes.
- Remove tart pan sides.
- Transfer tart to platter.
Amazing!!!! A nice tart ending to any meal. With just the smallest bite your mouth fills with lemony goodness. Make sure you caramelize the top it gives it a bit of a crunch to contrast with the creaminess. Yes, I will surely be making this again!
This came out perfect! My mother really loves lemon desserts so I made this for her when she came to visit this weekend. She raved about it and she is not always easy to please. I will definitely be making this again! Made for ZWT3 2007.
Reviewed for ZWT III. I would have loved to have eaten this tart with caramelised top but my husband and his brother got to it before I had the chance to get it caramelised! Only one piece remained in my fridge - it was SUPERBLY DELICIOUS though! I found it very easy to make and can't wait to try it again - DH has been warned not to touch this time :D