Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from a recipe from "Baked Alaska" restaurant in Oregon. Dungeness crab meat is best, but King or Snow will work.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 lb cauliflower floret, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces fresh crabmeat (leg or claw meat is best)
- smoked paprika, to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Stir in cauliflower and slowly cook, being careful not to burn, until the cauliflower begins to show a caramel color.
- Add the carrots, celery and onion and continue to cook for two minutes.
- Add the flour and stir continuously until the mixture is fully mixed; it should have a paste like consistency.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and cook while stirring for one minute.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle the soup into four bowls and top each with one-ounce of crabmeat.
- Garnish with smoked paprika and serve.
Thanks to Pic A Chef I picked this recipe to try.
Just soup reminded us of the soup at our favorite restraunt.
The flavor is so delicious. A nice treat to make for a special ocasion or a family get together.
So worth making.