1 hr 5 mins
A very simple dessert where presentation is very important. Excellent ending to a rich supper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For the sauce: Scald the milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- 2Blend the yolks and sugar thoroughly in a bowl with a wooden spoon and gradually stir in the hot milk.
- 3Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir over low heat until it thickens to the consistency of heavy cream.
- 4Do not boil or it will curdle.
- 5At once, strain the mixture into a bowl and stir in the vanilla.
- 6Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until cold.
- 7Pare the apples, quarter them, and remove the stems and cores.
- 8Halve the quarters to make 32 apple wedges.
- 9Melt the butter in a large skillet and when it is foaming, add the apple wedges.
- 10Cook over a high heat for half a minute, then turn them over and sprinkle with the sugar.
- 11Cook another few minutes or until the sugar begins to caramelize, then remove the pan from the heat.
- 12Coat 6 dessert plates with some of the custard sauce and arrange 5 or 6 apple wedges, like the spokes of a wheel, on the sauce.
- 13Sprinkle delicately with cinnamon and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Apples in Custard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.9
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 199.2 mg
- Sodium 129.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 5.1 g