Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A very simple dessert where presentation is very important. Excellent ending to a rich supper.
Make and share this Caramelized Apples in Custard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- For the sauce: Scald the milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Blend the yolks and sugar thoroughly in a bowl with a wooden spoon and gradually stir in the hot milk.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir over low heat until it thickens to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Do not boil or it will curdle.
- At once, strain the mixture into a bowl and stir in the vanilla.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until cold.
- Pare the apples, quarter them, and remove the stems and cores.
- Halve the quarters to make 32 apple wedges.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and when it is foaming, add the apple wedges.
- Cook over a high heat for half a minute, then turn them over and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Cook another few minutes or until the sugar begins to caramelize, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Coat 6 dessert plates with some of the custard sauce and arrange 5 or 6 apple wedges, like the spokes of a wheel, on the sauce.
- Sprinkle delicately with cinnamon and serve immediately.