Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
An exceptional salad with a dressing to match.
For the Spicy Orange Vinaigrette (use 1 1/2 cups for salad)
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper
For the Apple Salad
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 cup watercress
- 1 cup frisee
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- For the Vinaigrette:.
- Place orange juice in a small nonreactive pan over high heat and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Place reduce orange juice, vinegar, onion, jalapeno and ancho chili powdeer in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified.
- Add honey and the salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Apple Salad:.
- Heat 3/4 cup of the spicy Orange vinaigrette in a medium saute pan, over medium high heat. Add the apples, cut-side down and saute until golden brown. Turn over and saute until just cooked trough, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the water cress and fresee in a medium bowl and toss with a few tablespoons of the remaining Spicy Orange Vinagirettte, season with salt and pepper and divide among 4 plates.
- Arrange 2 apple quarters on each plate, garanish with walnuts and feta cheese and drizzle with some of the remaining vinaigrette.