Prep 24 hrs
Cook 50 mins
For best flavor this cheesecake and any cheesecake is best prepared a day ahead, to save time chop caramels hours or days in advance and keep in a ziploc bag until ready to use :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup butterscotch chips
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (2 pounds)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 15 -18 wrapped caramels, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup Heath candy bars or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup Skor candy bar, finely crushed
SOUR CREAM TOPPING
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Prepare a 9 or 10-inch springform pan.
- For the crust: In a food processor, pulse the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, butter and the butterscotch baking chips together to form a crumbly mixture.
- Remove and press into bottom of springform pan (do not bake).
- To make cheesecake: In a mixer bowl, cream the creamcheese with condensed milk and sugar until smooth.
- Add in eggs one at a time.
- Add in vanilla and lemon juice.
- Fold in the chopped caramels.
- Pour into prepared crust in the pan.
- Place in the oven, and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Bake until set (about 45 minutes).
- To make topping: In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, vanilla and sugar until smooth.
- Spread over warm cake, and return to oven to bake an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the cake from oven and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chopped toffee bars.
I cannot say enough about this cheesecake. This is soooooo good, but not something you would want to eat every day unless weight gain is your thing. I will probably make this for only the most special occasions, as the ingredients alone cost me almost $30. Well worth it though!! *Update* My husband took half of the cheesecake to work today for his co-workers, and now 17 people want the recipe! Funny how that many loved it when there were only 6 pieces:)
Excellent! I followed the recipe to the letter and it turned out great. Totally decadent. Aside from the superb taste, this had the nicest texture I have ever achieved in a cheesecake (and I've made more than my share). Thanks Kittencal.
It turned out very well, but next time I will add more sugar to the cake and sour cream topping.