Top Review by EQJunkie
This was a lovely sauce, though it's flavor and color don't say "caramel" to me. But I'm a coffee freak, and really loved the mocha flavor to it. It would make a wonderful addative when making a milkshake! I'll make it again.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup double-strength brewed coffee or 2 teaspoons instant coffee, dissolved in 1/3 c. hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- If using nuts, toast them in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, combine sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in coffee.
- (Stand back, as caramel may sputter).
- Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Return to low heat and whisk until caramel has dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Swirl butter into caramel mixture.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Stir in vanilla and toasted nuts, if using, let cool.
- (The sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week).