Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easy and very rich! From a reader Super Food Ideas Sept 2003.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- To make base: Place flour and sugar in bowl. Rub in butter until resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg and enough water to mix to soft dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius Roll pastry out to line 23cm pie plate. Pierce with a fork all over and bake for 15 - 18 minutes. Cool.
- To make filling : Combine sugar and flour in saucepan. Add a little milk, stirring to form a smooth paste. Add remaining milk, yolks and butter. Cook stirring constantly until it boil. Cool completely and fill the crust.
- To make meringue: Beat eggwhites until peaks form. Add sugar spoonful at a time beating until dissolved.
- Spread over caramel and bake for a further 15 minutes until lightly golden. Serve.