- Place sugar in 9 inch cast iron skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until sugar dissolves and becomes a golden syrup.
- Gradually pour syrup into milk, beating constantly, until syrup is dissolved in milk.
- Stir in bread crumbs, eggs, salt, nutmeg, butter and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole.
- Place casserole into a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Pour hot water into large pan to a depth of 1/2 inch.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour or until lightly browned.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls and serve warm with sweetened whipped cream.