Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
The best caramel bars ever!! I got this recipe from my husband's Grandma Emma years ago and I had forgotten I even had it. Myself and other family members have been trying to come up with a recipe that would come close to Grandma's and as much as we tried, could never quite match up to her recipe. As I was looking through my recipe card box recently I discovered the recipe, hand written by Grandma Emma. My daughters and I had to make them when they were home visiting this summer and they are the best!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups quick oatmeal
- 12 ounces caramels
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the 1st 6 ingredients together in mixer until crumbly -- Grandma says mix like pie crust.
- Pat all but approximately 1 1/2 cups of batter into a 9 X 13 cake pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While this is baking, melt the caramels with the 3/4 cup whipping cream. A double boiler is recommended, but you could use the microwave if you stop and stir often to make sure the caramels do not burn.
- Spread caramel mix over the 1st layer when it has baked.
- Use the remaining 1 1/2 cups of batter and pat down in small sections over the caramel mix.
- Return to oven and bake for about 15 minutes or longer -- til they are done.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- *Pointer-Can use Caramel bites that are now available in the baking aisle at the grocery store rather than having to unwrap all the caramels. Also, Grandma says that 1/2 and 1/2 could be used rather than cream if you would like.
These are amazing!!! Thanks for sharing NaNa BKM!!!
This is great.. Easy to make and Easy to eat!