Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I made this for Christmas gifts the teachers loved it.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup corn kernel
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Butter 2 baking sheets; set aside.
- Place corn kernels and oil in a large pot, partially covered, over medium heat. Once popping begins shake pan frequently; when popping slows down, about 3 seconds between pops, remove pan from heat and uncover. Transfer popped corn to a large bowl; add almonds. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium high heat; stir to dissolve sugar and melt butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until it reaches 255 on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat; stir in extracts, salt,a nd baking soda. Working quickly, pour over popcorn and almonds; toss with wooden spoons while rotating the bowl. When completely coated, divide evenly between prepared baking sheets. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour and 20 minutes; popcorn will crisp when cooled.