Recipe by LMillerRN
A favorite salad gets its turn in a sandwich. For a different flavor, use jarred roasted red peppers in place of the tomato. Purchased pesto is fine here, but homemade is even better.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 177.44 ml tomatoes, diced
- 14.79 ml capers, drained
- 0.25 ml red pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4 slice white bread or 4 slice whole wheat sourdough bread, 1/2-inch thick
- olive oil
- 59.14 ml purchased pesto sauce
- 170.09 g fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- sea salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, capers, and pepper flakes; sauté until just starting to break down, about 3 minutes.
- Off heat, add vinegar.
- Brush oil on one side of each slice of bread; spread the other sides with 1 tablespoon pesto. Arrange mozzarella and tomato mixture on two slices of bread, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with another slice of bread, oiled side up.
- Toast sandwiches in a skillet or panini press.