Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice, light tomato sauce for your favourite pasta. The capers and sun dried tomatoes give the flavour of this sauce a big boost!
- 1 teaspoon capers (with brine)
- 28 ounces italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 -10 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup fresh oregano (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (optional)
- 1 bell pepper (optional)
- saute onions and garlic in olive oil until fragrant in large fry pan.
- add beef, pork and salt to pan and brown over medium high heat.
- before beef and pork are completely cooked through, reduce heat to low and add plum tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and capers with brine.
- chop sun dried tomatoes and add to pan. add any optional ingredients, if desired.
- simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
We had this for dinner tonight - it is a nice light sauce - I will add a little bit of beef stock to for personal taste. I love the use of sundried tomato as well. Thank you for sharing Tony! 1st of 3 recipes reviewed for PAC 2010