Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This easy to make and flavourful South African preserve is wonderful with curries, stews and casseroles - and I have also used it in toasted cheese sandwiches as well! Atjar was introduced to South Africa by the Malays about a century ago. It consists of a variety of vegetables and fruits, boiled and preserved in a very strong chili pickle. It should be pleasantly sour with a sweetish aftertaste. It is usually eat it as a relish with curry or meat dishes in South Africa.
- 2 kg green mangoes, peeled, stoned and cut into 2cm chunks
- 500 ml white vinegar
- 250 g white sugar
- 200 g blanched almonds, chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 29.58 ml peeled chopped fresh gingerroot
- 4.92 ml cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5 peppercorns
- 4.92 ml salt
- Place all the prepared vegetables, fruit and spices into a large preserving pan.Add the sugar and vinegar, and stir well.
- Boil all the ingredients until the mango chunks are tender but still whole ,stirring all the time to ensure that the mixture does not stick to the base of the pan. (It can take between 60 and 90 minutes depending on the age and ripeness of the mangoes.).
- The mixture should have reduced to a runny jam like consistency when the atjar is done.
- Pour into clean, hot jars and seal.
- Store in a cool, dark and dry place.
Was originally going to cut this recipe in half, but since I have friends who also enjoy cooking surprises/gifts as well as chutneys, I decided to go whole hog & spread the joy around! AND, since this is one of French Tart's recipes, I was SURE there'd be plenty of joy to spread, & there was! With the flavors of mango, almonds & ginger (as well as all the rest!), this made for a GREAT TASTING CHUTNEY, one worth making again! Got to admit that I was sorely tempted to cut back on the cayenne pepper, but then didn't! I do think it might just be a tiny bit too hot (for me, anyway) but my friends LOVED IT, so . . . [Made & reviewed while touring Africa on Zaar World Tour 4]