Recipe by my3beachbabes
This is a nice dessert for the Holidays! I made this 2 years ago and had rave reviews. I found this in a holiday baking magazine. For a shortcut use boxed brownies!
- 1 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Peppermint whipped cream
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons peppermint schnapps or 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- red food coloring
Chocolate Peppermint sauce
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄4 cups light cream
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons light-color corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps or 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup crushed candy canes or 1 cup peppermint stick candy
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter and unsweetened chocolate; heat and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, grease a 13x9x2 inch baking pan; set aside.
- Stir granulated sugar into cooled chocolate mixture in saucepan. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a spoon after each addition until combined. Stir in vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract. Add flour, stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate pieces. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 35 minutes ou until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. If desired cover tightly and store overnight at room temperature or freeze for up to 3 weeks.
- Meanwhile, prepare chocolate peppermint sauce. Break brownies into irregular bite sized chunks; set aside.
- In a chilled very large bowl, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, peppermint schnapps or peppermint extract, and a few drops of red food coloring. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Dip rims of 16-20 martini glasses and or dessert cups in addition dip rims of glasses in peppermint schnapps then in pink, red or white decorating sugars. In each glass layer whipped cram mixture, brownie chunks, chocolate peppermint sauce and crushed candy. Top each dessert with a dallop of the whipped cram mixture sprinkled with crushed peppermint. If desired garnish with a candy cane.
- Chocolate peppermint sauce: In a heavy medium saucepan, Combine 6 ounces cut up semisweet chocolate and 3 tablespoons butter; stir over low heat until melted. Stir in 1 1/4 cups half and half or light cream, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and 3 tablespoons light color corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil gently; stirring frequently, 8 minutes or until syrup reduces to 2 1/3 cup. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps or 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Cool to room temperature (mixture thickens as it cools. If desired cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Note: If you prefer to assemble the dessert in one large bowl, place one-third of the brownie pieces in a 2 quart glass trifle bowl or serving bowl. Drizzle with one fourth of the chocolate peppermint sauce. Sprinkle with one-third of the crushed candy. Top with one-third of the whipped cream mixture. Repeat layers ending up with whipped cream mixture sprinked with the candies. Drizzle with remaining chocolate sauce. If desired, garnish with candy canes or peppermint sticks.