This tastes just like the red candy apples that we are all so familiar with. The apples are cooked in a mixture that includes red hot cinnamon candies, then placed in the bottom of a baking pan and topped with the yellow sour cream cake batter. Cake is inverted over a serving platter when done and the red apple topping makes for a great presentation. Delicious!
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 13x9 baking pan with non stick spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cinnamon candies, sugar, 1/2 cup of apple juice and food coloring and heat over high heat, stirring constantly until candy dissolves.
- Add apples and bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Spoon filling into baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine all cake ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon over the apple mixture, spreading to completely cover the apples.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then invert over a large serving platter.
- Cool completely, then cut into squares to serve.