Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Thanksgiving FAVORITE in Kerry's family, they can't make enough of it.
- 3 lbs yams or 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 lbs tart cooking apples
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 5 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Prepare a day ahead and refrigerate. Cook yams in boiling salted water until tender but not soft. Peel and slice lengthwise. Peel, core and slice apples.
- Arrange potatoes and apples in layers, sprinkling each with sugar, lemon juice, rind, nutmeg and dots of butter. Cover with foil.
- When ready to bake, put covered casserole in preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 45 minutes. Remove foil, turn heat to 400°F and bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Yields: 10 servings.