Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
My sister-in-law made this salad for a family dinner just before my husband and I were married. In a hurry I wrote the recipe down. I've shared this recipe often through the years of our marriage. Recently at a dinner, my SIL asked if I made this recipe often. I replied that yes I did and every year I have to make California Salad. The look on her face was priceless and her reply was "I thought I gave you this recipe years ago!". After visiting on this topic further, we discovered I had abbreviated cauliflower to Calif. Salad thus it's name. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 head lettuce, torn
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small flowerettes
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- In large serving salad bowl layer torn lettuce, broken cauliflower, chopped green onions, crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.
- In small bowl mix together sugar and mayonnaise well.
- Pour over the top of layered salad- cover and chill until ready to serve.
- TOSS JUST BEFORE SERVING.
This was delicious! I used leaf lettuce and blanched the cauliflower a bit. I was trying to lighten up this recipe a tad, so used real bacon bits (less fat), low-fat cheddar & mayo, and used Splenda instead of sugar. Truly, I don't think any of the flavor was lost. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Cindy. Made for the Diabetic Forum Pool Party May 2010.
A nice salad, I loved the crunchy cauliflower, the salty bacon bits, and the sweetness of the dressing! I reduced the amount of everything to serve two people. Personally, 1/2 cup of sugar would be too much for my taste, I used one teaspoon in 1/4 cup of mayonnaise and it was perfect!