Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here's a tempting alternative to beef burgers and just in time for your summer cookouts! Originally from a food section of a local paper.
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 4 toasted whole whole wheat rolls or 4 hot dog buns
- 4 slices thick ripe tomatoes, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup alfalfa sprout, for garnish
- Prepare coals for grilling or heat gas grill.
- Lightly combine the lamb, onion, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper; form into four patties about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
- In a separate bowl, mash the avocado with the lemon juice and yogurt.
- Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
- Grill the burgers 3 inches from the heat for about 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare meat.
- Serve immediately on toasted rolls topped with the reserved avocado mixture, a tomato slice, and alfalfa sprouts.
It is rare that I can get round lamb so when I see it I snap it up - then I found this recipe however in my haste i suddenly realized that I didn't have an avocado nor sprouts so it was reall an UnCalifornia dreamin": burger. It was delicous even without the sauce. The lemon parsley onion give a great flavor to the lamb. I garnished it with tomato, lettuce and mushrooms on the side. I will make this again with all the trimmings