Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are fantastic! I use about 1 tablespoon of The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix in place of the seasoned salt. This recipe will give you about 14-16 patties, you can reduce to half if desired to give you 7-8 patties and use only a small egg. If you cannot fine Andouille sausage, then use kielbasa or smoked dry sausage. Use cooked shrimp for this. Plan ahead the total chilling time before cooking the cakes is 2-1/2 hours. I serve these with the lemon ailoi from my Salmon Cakes With Lemon Aioli For coating the outside cakes you can use panko.
- 2 lbs cooked medium shrimp (cut into pieces, or you can use scallops)
- 8 -9 ounces andouille sausages, chopped
- 3 -5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (use an extra large egg or use 2 small eggs)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 3 cups breadcrumbs, divided (made from crustless bread)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter, with
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil (for frying)
- Place the shrimp and chopped sausage in a food processor and process using on/off turns until coarsely chopped.
- In a skillet melt butter over medium heat; add in the onion, bell pepper and garlic, sauté stirring for about 4 minutes or until softened; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in shrimp and sausage to the vegetable mixture.
- Stir in mayo, egg, 1 cup breadcrumbs, green onions, mustard, seasoned salt and black pepper; cover the mixture and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Form the mixture into 15 (1-1/2-inch thick) patties.
- Place the remaining 2 cups breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Coat each patty with the crumbs patting with hands to adhere.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet or large plate.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Heat the butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add in the shrimp cakes and cook about 6 minutes on each side or until browned.