Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooled with cilantro & scallion, this rice is also heated with a chile kick. Adapted from Gourmet magazine - July 2006.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapenos, including seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Bring rice, water & 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan & simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove lid & fluff with a fork.
- While rice is cooking, using a blender, puree cilantro, onion, scallion, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil & remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. (If needed, can add 1-2 tablespoons water to get a smooth puree.).
- Add mixture to rice & stir with a fork till well blended.
I think I'm in the minority here. This had WAY too strong of a cilantro taste for us (and we love cilantro!) to the point that it overwhelmed the dish a bit. It was decent...but if I tried it again, I would cut the cilantro in at least half! I even thinned the puree' a bit with some water since it was thicker than it should have been. But still really strong for us. Glad we tried it. Thanks for posting.
I simply love this rice! It is such a pretty color and a nice alternative to Spanish rice with Mexican style food. I added about 1/2 cup of pinion nuts after the puree to the rice. I remember thinking the green rice at Cafe Psqual's in Santa Fe had pinon nuts when I ate it there.
A word of caution - don't overdo the jalapeno pepper. If you do, it will overpower the other flavors. I did the first time I made this, since I like jalapeno, but it was a mistake.
I loved this rice! It has a great flavor and I didn't think the cilantro was too much. I used green chiles in place of jalapeno and chives from my garden for the scallion. Otherwise followed pretty closely. Served with corn tortilla quesadillas, ranchero beans, and a simple guacamole- this was one of the best meals I've had in awhile. Will definitely make again. THANK YOU SusieQusie! [Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup]