Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a Classic Caesar Dressing and is the tastiest and very close to the original. The volumes have ranges as Caesar dressings are the best to play with for your own taste buds. I prefer with more garlic
- 1 romaine lettuce (whole leaves or torn in pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups French bread, cubed 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 -6 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 -8 anchovy fillets
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar or 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 eggs, Coddled see how to coddle eggs below
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- Bake bread cubes 8 min 325 degrees and then fry lightly in some of the olive oil and garlic, as needed. Toss until crispy and golden.
- Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Crush the garlic cloves and salt into a paste in a large wooden salad bowl, using the back of a wooden salad serving spoon.
- Add the anchovies and do the same. Add the Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, lemon juice and pepper. Whisk in the remaining oil until thoroughly combined.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and whisk again until combined.
- Add the coddled eggs and whisk until blended toss.
- Add lettuce and toss until coated Top with shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve.
- * To Make Coddled Eggs: Put egg (in the shell) in saucepan of room temperature water. Bring water to a simmer and simmer 1 minute. Drain and cool egg immediately by running cool water over it. It will be soft and the white still runny.
- Adding the eggs is optional but oh so good.
- The volumes have ranges to play with your own palette.
- Reserve left over dressing as it will keep for weeks.
I was at Caesar's Hotel where the recipe comes from and made a little video start to finish of the originators preparing the salad at your table. Mine didn't have anchovy paste in it and they say that in the original there never was any. Caesar Cardini was opposed to using anchovies in his salad
Very good indeed, though I will make some minor changes next time. For a start, there was enough dressing for two lettuce heads. Also, I will reduce or leave out the salt, just mincing the garlic, and increase the mustard and lemon juice. I forgot about starting the coddled eggs from cold, so left them in for two minutes, which was a bit too long, as the whites were nearly cooked. Still, it all tasted fantastic! I served it with cold sliced chicken breast, which I had marinated in lemon and oil, then grilled.
I did this exactly as stated with the lower end of the ranges and it was great. Lots of garlic and flavour. Next time will use more anchovy. Loved it.