Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This is the Caribbean meets south Texas. One of our favorite dishes is barbacoa (shredded beef) served on corn tortillas with salsa. We eat it for breakfast (really, it's true). Well here is our Tex-Mex Sunday morning special--Jamaica style.
Top Review by lauralie41
I wont leave a star rating or photo because of the changes I made while making Pokey's recipe. Used about a 2 1/2 pound pork roast for this recipe. Placed it in my slow cooker and only used 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced. Could not find a scotch bonnet pepper so I used a habanero and only 1 teaspoon for the salsa. An interesting flavor mixture of mango and pepper with heat to bump it up a notch. Thank you Pokey for sharing your recipe!
- 2 lbs goat meat, shoulder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 whole jalapenos (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 1 lb mango
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons scotch bonnet peppers (minced)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water (warm)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat off goat roast. Place in pressure cooker with water, garlic, jalapenos, and onions.
- Pressure cook for 1 1/2 hours till fork tender. Remove from cooker, remove excess fat, and shred with fork. Keep warm.
- Peel and chop mango.
- Combine mango with onion, cilantro, scotch bonnet, vinegar, and sugar. Leave at room temperature till ready to serve.
- For the tortillas: Combine flour, salt, and oil. Mix till crumbly.
- Add warm water until you can gather dough into a ball.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Divide dough into 12 equal parts.
- Roll each portion into a ball and roll out on a floured surface until it forms an 8 inch circle.
- Place flour tortillas on a hot griddle and cook for 30-40 seconds on each side. Tortillas should puff slightly.
- To serve: place some shredded goat on the center of a tortilla, sprinkle with salt, spoon on a little salsa, fold and enjoy.