Recipe by gailanng
Top Review by Kitzy
This wasn't bad at all. For some reason, once cooked it tasted more interesting than just cabbage in pastry. I did find that I could only fit about half of the cabbage mixture in though, which was really strange as I followed the recipe exactly. Maybe my pastry sheets were smaller than yours?
- 1 head cabbage, about 2 pounds cored and shredded
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- black pepper
- 4 leaves phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle shredded cabbage liberally with salt and let stand in large bowl for 20 minutes.
- After standing time, wring cabbage tightly in large kitchen towel to release moisture.
- Heat oil; brown onion and garlic.
- Add cabbage; cook until well browned.
- Add pepper; cool completely.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Place one phyllo leaf on clean dampened kitchen towel. Working quickly, brush with melted butter and sprinkle 1 tablespoon bread crumbs.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo leaves.
- Spread cabbage mixture in a thick row down center.
- Lifting ends of towel, enfold filling completely (jellyroll style).
- Place seam side down on lightly buttered baking sheet.
- Brush top and sides with melted butter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.