Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
taken from piequeen.blogspot.com. They're very moist yet not dense. Not sweet at all, very good and very filling for breakfast. Got 9 muffins out of this recipe
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄4 cup honey or 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins (I only use 1/4 c, i don't want raisins to overpower the bread)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine first 5 in a bowl, mix together and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl, sift or mix together well.
- Beat together eggs, buttermlk.
- Stir dry mix into first mixture. Stir briefly, then add egg mixture. Stir together lightly until just mixed. Fill muffin cups and bake 25 minutes or until muffins spring back lightly when pressed with a fingertip.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then serve or let cool on a rack.
I skipped the raisins because I'm just not a raisin fan. I do think though that I will try these again with craisins or dried blueberries because we love both of those. I am a huge bran muffin fan and these were nice and moist. I love the combination of the bran and molasses. Works really well together. Thanks for posting these. :D