Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Nice Vegetarian recipe
- 4 cups cabbage, finely shredded, packed
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, raw
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- Put cabbage into 1 1/2 quart casserole and pour rice over top.
- Poke with fork several places to allow a bit of rice into the cabbage.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over rice; pour water over all.
- Cover and bake in 350F oven for 1 hour; remove from oven.(Add some boiling water if it is dry.).
- Heat margarine in small fry pan; and saute onion until golden.
- Add this to cabbage; stir to combine.
I wanted to really like this cabbage casserole but I am sorry it didnt work to well for me. I used packaged cole slaw mix that included carrots and red cabbage. After an hour the rice was still not cooked so I put it back in the oven for a bit longer. After adding the onion it needed a little something so I added more salt, garlic powder, and some celery seed. That helped but it still was on the bland side. I think if chicken or vegetable broth was used instead of water that would increase the flavor. Maybe some other seasonings to boost the cabbage flavor too. Made and reviewed for Spring Spectacular 2008.