Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This from-scratch recipe is a little different from the other butterscotch sauces in the db as it contains no cream, milk or corn syrup. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947 As a variation, add 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup nutmeats, finely minced
- Boil sugar and water together to 234F on a candy thermometer or until a small amount of the mixture forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water.
- Add butter and nut meats.
- Serve immediately.