Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light. It says to use cooking spray to grease the pan, but that never works for me, so I use butter, although I do realise that makes it far less 'light'. Oh well, at least the cake comes out of the pan!
- butter, to grease
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 12 cup Bundt pan with butter and dust with breadcrumbs.
- Melt 4 Tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cook 2 minutes, stirring all the time (sugar won't melt). Pour mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool about 20 minutes or so.
- Add 3 Tbsp butter, cream cheese and vanilla to bowl and beat with a mixer on low speed 1 minute. Beat at high speed 4 minutes (mixture will not be smooth). Add eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in another bowl and stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, alternating with milk, stirring after each addition.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted and inch from the edge comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack, then remove carefully from pan. Leave to cool completely and dust with powdered sugar to serve.