1/3 Photos of Butternut Squash Yeast Bread
8 hrs 30 mins
I was looking for a good bread to make rolls for Thanksgiving and maybe to turn into a bread pudding. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I modified my whole wheat bread recipe and this was the delicious outcome.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup butternut squash, pureed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 600 g whole wheat flour, fresh milled (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1Add buttermilk, honey, molasses and egg to the bread machine.
- 2In a separate container mix the butternut (or some other Winter squash, pumpkin is great too) with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Trust me. It gives the bread a richer flavor.
- 3Add the butternut mixture to the rest of the wet stuff.
- 4Add the all flour except about one cup to the bowl and start the bread machine on the dough only setting. Let it start mixing. Watch it to make sure it all mixes inches Let it mix for about ten minutes and then turn it off.
- 5I use fresh milled grain, which requires an autolysing time to process. If you are using whole wheat purchased from the store, you can skip the next step.
- 6Remove the dough and refrigerate for 8-24 hours (you can leave it in the bowl). This will give it time for the whole grain to break down so it will be easier to digest. Trust me, it is worth it. There is NO comparison to fresh milled whole grain bread.
- 7When ready to make the bread, put it back into the bread maker, add the last cup of wheat and the yeast, let it run in the dough cycle.
- 8Remove from the pan and shape into two loaves, or into 24 rolls.
- 9Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- 10After the second rise, bake for 30 minutes at 350.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Yeast Bread
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.6
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 114.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten