Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of my favorite ways to enjoy this type of squash!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped (with leaves)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into slices
- sour cream
- bacon bits
- Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan. Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring often until softened.
- Stir in celery and spices. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 can broth,water and squash. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until squash is tender.
- In batches, process in food processor or blender until smooth, adding chicken broth as necessary to make desired consistency.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of bacon bits.
I liked this soup, but thought was a bit bland, so I added a rounded teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules to it, which gave it more flavor, plus I added 6 Tbsp. of finely chopped onion, 4 tsp. of jarred minced garlic, the 4 stalks of celery, but w/o the leaves, plus I added white pepper instead of the black pepper, and added 1-1/2 lbs. of the butternut squash, which I'm glad I added more than the recipe called for, or the soup would of been a bit too runny. I cooked the squash, (along w/the other ingredients) for exactly 23 minutes. I thought the bacon bits and sour cream, made this soup taste even better. The first time I used Hormel Real Bacon Bits, and the second time I tried it, I used a cheaper brand, and found that when using the cheaper brand, the bacon bits must sit in the soup for a minute or so before adding the sour cream (to softened up the bacon bits). I much prefer the Hormel Brand of Bacon Bits to any other brand. Also, I think one should add the bacon bits first to the soup, then the dollop of sour cream. One more thing, be sure to cut the squash into 1/2-inch cubes, rather than into slices. Thank you for the recipe Dragonfly AZ, it was good.
thanks for the great recipe. I needed a fast soup recipe for a late supper. Made it with biscuits. It was a hit.
Lovely rainy day soup. I left out the bacon bits (I know I know they are SOoooo good) Used no fat sour cream. Added a but of cinnamon Mmmm Thanks for posting Dragonfly AZ