Quinoa with butternut squash; baked with gruyere cheese. I used spinach (because that's what I had), but my sister used kale the other day.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shallots, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups frozen spinach, drained
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, mashed or pureed
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 quart baking dish.
- Cut squash length-wise and bake about 20 mins, until tender.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve. Put in pot with water, bring to boil, then simmer about 15mins until water is absorbed. Don't stir until the end.
- In a pan cook shallots and onions until tender and browned.
- Add garlic and cook 2-3 mins, careful not to burn shallots.
- Add onion mixture to cooked quinoa.
- Cook mushrooms. I added some herbs de Provence to them.
- Add mushrooms to quinoa.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat eggs with a fork then mix with quinoa mixture. Add cheese and spinach.
- When squash is done, remove from oven and scrape out of the skin. Mash a little with a fork then mix with beans then mix into quinoa.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes.