Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nice side dish from the sticker on the squash! Might try replacing the cream with creme fraiche and a bit more juice for a variation.
- 1 butternut squash
- apple cider (or try a blend like apple with Pomegranate)
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4-1 cup heavy cream
- Cut squash lengthwise and place halfs face down in a medium casserole dish. Add cider to reach about 1/3 of the way up the side of the squash halves and cook in 350 degree oven until squash is soft to the touch.
- Remove and discard seeds, scoop out squash and return to the pan with the cider (it will have reduced a bit during cooking). Add onion, nutmeg, ginger and salt and pepper. Taste to check seasonings and adjust as necessary.
- Beat together eggs and cream and add to the squash mixture. Mix until fully blended.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until set and puffed.
- Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!