Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This makes a great side dish to a Thanksgiving meal :)
Top Review by sarikat
Sooooo delicious! It was a pain to peel and boil the squash, but the end result is totally worth it! This was a hug hit at a potluck dinner I recently attended. One note, I did end up baking this for about 75 minutes as it seemed like it hadn't completely set at 60 minutes.
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2⁄3 cup milk or 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla wafer crumbs (15 wafers)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place squash in a large saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain, and place in a mixing bowl; beat just until smooth.
- Add the milk, butter, eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients; add to squash mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over squash.
- Bake, uncovered for 12-15 minutes, or until heated through.