Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Found this recipe in the Quad Cities Times. Can't wait to try it!!
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 2 cups shredded butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- cream cheese frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients; mix together. Add vegetable oil; stir. Beat in one egg at a time until thoroughly mixed together.
- In a food processor, finely chop walnuts. Place in batter and mix.
- Peel and remove seeds from butternut squash. Use food processor to shred butternut squash. Place in batter and mix. (Make sure to measure the shredded squash; one butternut squash should be more than 2 cups). Add milk 1/2 cup at a time and mix.
- Butter and flour two 8-inch cake pans (can use nonstick vegetable spray). Pour batter evenly into pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool. Remove from pans and frost with cream cheese frosting if you choose. Can add layers together to make a 2-layer cake.