Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The best soup. When I make this soup I always get raves. It's rich and creamy. I got it from Taste of Home.
- 2 medium sliced carrots
- 2 chopped celery ribs, with leaves
- 2 medium sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 lbs peeled seeded and cubed butternut squash (about 6 cups)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute carrots, celery and leeks in butter for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the squash, broth and ginger; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes. Cool until lukewarm.
- In a blender or food processor puree squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return to pan.
- Add cream, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Heat through but do not boil.
I found this quite bland at first. I think using three leeks as the previous reviewer suggested is a good idea. For seasoning, I used 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger, a teaspoon of cinnamon, 1.5 teaspoons of black pepper, 1/3 teaspoon of cayenne and a bit of nutmeg. This turned out delicious.
This is a delicious, tummy-warming soup. I thought the texture and flavor were perfect. I made it exactly as written, but used 3 leeks instead of two. Thanx for posting this recipe....it's a keeper that I'll make often!