Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a favourite South African recipe. Perfectly for dunking into hot coffee!
- 1 kg cake flour
- 8 g bicarbonate of soda
- 8 g cream of tartar
- 8 g baking powder
- 10 g salt
- 200 g sugar
- 250 g butter or 250 g margarine
- 450 ml buttermilk
- Spray two 30 x 36 x 7 cm baking trays with nonstick baking spray.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in the butter or margarine. Rub in until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in buttermilk to form a firm dough.
- Break off small pieces of dough and shape them into balls.
- Place close together in sprayed baking trays.
- Brush the side of each row with melted butter before putting in the next row so that the rusks can be broken apart easily later.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 240 °C for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 190 °C and bake for a further 35-50 minutes, then brush with diluted milk.
- Turn out on to a cooling rack and break in three so that rusks will cool more quickly.
- When cool, break into neat portions and allow to dry out in the oven set at 100 °C.
These are true South African buttermilk rusks.I just made this recipe and they remind me of the Ouma Rusks I use to buy from pick 'n pay when I lived in Johanneburg. The rusks go nicely with a hot cup of rooibos tea. Dankie vir die heerlike resep!