Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This pound cake is delicious, yet not too terribly sweet. It forms a nice light crust on top. It would be perfect served with mascerated strawberries. Source: Southern Living Magazine
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- 2. Add flour to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (12-cup) tube pan.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).