Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (or more)
- chopped fresh parsley
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes; Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to large bowl.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in Dijon mustard.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1 1/2 cups buttermilk.
- Using handheld electric mixer, beat potatoes until smooth.
- Gradually beat in buttermilk mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Beat in additional buttermilk if dry.
- NOTE: Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in microwave-safe bowl until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley around edge.
Absolutely delicious. And really quick and easy with too. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap March 2014.
Oh my goodness, what a great recipe for mashed potatoes. I almost always have a carton of buttermilk that needs to be used up and I never, ever thought of putting it in mashed potatoes. And I always have lots of interesting mustards. Brilliant recipe that went so well with roast lamb, asparagus and Stuffed Mushrooms With Feta. We ate very well. Thanks so much for posting.
Loved the addition of the mustard, really kicked the potatoes up a notch. Added parsley from my garden. Thanks for a lovely recipe.