Recipe by kittycatmom
*Update - When I posted this recipe I hadn't tried them yet. Since then I have made them a couple of times. In addition to the posted ingredients I like to add 1/2 cup wheat germ, and 1 T vanilla (1 also add whole eggs instead of just egg whites.) They freeze really well. My Mom gave me this recipe but I'm not sure from where... with all the changes, it's mine now!
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 egg whites (whole eggs separated work well too)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ (optional) or 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 4 (four) ingredients (if you are using wheat germ or flax seed combine with dry ingredients) in a large mixing bowl; set aside. Stir buttermilk and oil together add vanilla as well; set aside. Blend egg whites in a dry mixing bowl until stiff peaks form; set aside. Mix buttermilk mixture into flour mixture; blend until smooth. Gradually fold in egg whites; pour by cupfuls onto a hot, greased waffle iron. Heat according to waffle iron manufacturer's instructions.