Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I got this from a magazine, but have altered it some. I use buttermilk powder mixed with water in place of the fresh buttermilk. I wrap the loaves after they are cool to touch in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. That makes it sticky and good otherwise it will be crunchy if you'd rather it be cruchy. This has a lot of sugar but it sure is good!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar, Divided
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine apple sauce and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Add buttermilk and eggs; mix well.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill two greased 8 inches x 4 inches or five 5 inches x 2 1/2 inches loaf pans about one-third full. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over the batter. Top with remaining batter and cinnamon - sugar. Swirl batter with a knife. Bake at 350 for 45 - 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
I make this recipe too except with 1/2 c canola oil instead of the applesauce. I also add pecans. It a nice quick bread and it especially nice for brunches or unexpected company.
Great cinnamon flavour but I found the bread a bit "guumy" in texture this could be from my oven not working correctly. I make this for the "My 3 chefs" contest fall 2008