Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 cups flour (sifted)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Melt and bring to a boil: butter, water, shortening, cocoa. Pour over flour mixture and mix well.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Frosting: Melt together 1 stick margarine, 3 T cocoa, but do not boil. Add 1 box powdered sugar and 3-6 Tablespoons buttermilk.
The cake baked up nicely and the texture was good. However, we could taste the shortening more than the chocolate flavor. Didn't even bother to frost it.
When I first saw this recipe I just had to try it for the PAC 2011 event with hopes that it would turn out good for me. Unfortunately I used oil instead of shortening and did not end up with perfect results that are what make this recipe special for me in this event.