Recipe by AllThingsCooking
If you cannot find buttermilk powder, omit it and substitute the milk for real buttermilk. Buttermilk powder is usually located in the canned and powdered milk section of the grocery store.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk baking mix
- 1⁄4 cup shortening (standard size ice cream scoop!) or 1⁄4 cup lard (standard size ice cream scoop!)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- melted butter, for brushing on finished biscuits
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Cut in the shortening or lard.
- Add milk and stir until just combined (mixture will be wet) let stand for 5 minutes.
- Dump mixture onto a well floured board, dust with flour and knead twice (again, mixture will be sticky).
- Gently pat the mixture into a half inch thick circle and cut with floured biscuit cutter.
- Place on non-stick baking sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter and serve piping hot!