Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Buttermilk Bacon Pralines from Martha Hall Foose’s “Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.” Prep time is cooling time.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 14.79 ml light corn syrup
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml pecans, chopped
- 2.46 ml orange zest
- 4 slice bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- In a heavy-bottomed, deep saucepan, combine the sugars, buttermilk, corn syrup, baking soda and salt over medium heat. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the mixture reaches 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, pecans, orange zest and bacon. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a silicone mat or buttered parchment paper. Let stand 30 minutes, or until cool. Store in an airtight container.