Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
Buttermilk Bacon Pralines from Martha Hall Foose’s “Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.” Prep time is cooling time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy-bottomed, deep saucepan, combine the sugars, buttermilk, corn syrup, baking soda and salt over medium heat. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the mixture reaches 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, pecans, orange zest and bacon. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a silicone mat or buttered parchment paper. Let stand 30 minutes, or until cool. Store in an airtight container.