Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The presentation on these cupcakes is what really makes them special. You can make this with any cup cake batter recipe to. So learn the method, and take it to use.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, soften
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, melted
Lemon Butter Cream
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F Place 12 cupcake holders in a muffin pan.
- Place all of the ingredients for the cake, except the melted chocolate in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until just smooth.
- Beat in the chocolate; spoon equal amounts of the batter into the cupcake holders, filling them about 3/4 the way full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- To make the butter cream, place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy, them gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Beat in the lemon rind and gradually beat in the lemon juice.
- When the cupcakes are cool, cut the top off of them, using a serrated knife.
- Cut each top in half and spread or pipe the butter cream frosting over the cut surface of each cake and push the two top pieces of the cake top into the frost to form wings.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.