Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Practical Vegetarian Cookery
Make and share this Buttered Nut and Lentil Dip recipe from Food.com.
- Melt half the buttetr in a saucepan and fry the onion over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Add the lentils and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Drain well.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small skillet.
- Add the almonds and pine nuts and fry them over a low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat.
- Put the lentils, almonds, and pine nuts, with any remaining butter, into a food processor.
- Add the ground coriander, cumin, ginger, and fresh cilantro.
- Process for about 20 seconds, until the mixture is smooth.
- Alternatively, press the lentils through a strainer to puree them and then mix with the finely chopped nuts, spices, and herbs.
- Season the dip with salt and pepper and garnish with sprigs of fresh cilantro.
- Serve with fresh vegetable crudites and bread sticks.