Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I'm a big fan of this cake. The buttered almond topping is really out of this world and makes this simple cake one to be enjoyed again and again and again...
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup blanched slivered almond, toasted
- For cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Butter and flour 10 inch springform pan.
- Beat eggs and sugar in medium bowl until pale yellow, about 8 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and fold into egg mixture.
- Fold in melted butter, milk, vanilla and almond extracts, until smooth.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes.
- At the 30 minute mark- make the topping.
- For buttered-almond topping: Melt butter in skillet over low heat.
- Mix in sugar, cream and salt, and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- Let boil vigorously exactly 2 ½ minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract and immediately pour hot topping over cake.
- Sprinkle evenly with roasted almonds.
- Continue baking until topping is bubbly and brown, watching very carefully, about 12 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Whipped cream is good with this (but what isn’t whipped cream good with?).
this is one of the best cakes we have ever had! we just loved the buttery almond flavor, and the crisp almonds on top. i didn't toast the almonds beforehand but the sugar and heat made them sweet and crunchy. this deserves 10 stars!
I was looking for a cake,...not a pound cake. The cake was a little heavier than I expected..the butter almond topping was even better before using on the cake...I will use this in the future for other things, such as pancakes. It was great. So next time I make this ( which I will ) , I'll add nuts in the cake batter,..slice to make a layer...and fill with whp.cream...maybe some xxx sugar for thickness, and of course, all the other ingredients, so this cake could really absorb this great topping combination