Buttered Rum Pound Cake With Bananas Foster Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a rich and wonderful desser--great for the holidays or just to impress someone.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Buttered rum glaze
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons light rum
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
For bananas fosters sauce
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup banana liqueur
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup light rum
- To make glaze combing glaze ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in pecans.
- To make cake, beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty mixer until creamy. Add 2 1/2 cups sugar, beating 4 to 5 minutes or until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in flavorings.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and place on a serving plate. While warm, prick cake surface at 1-inch intervals with a wooden pick; pour warm Buttered Rum Glaze over cake. Let stand 4 hours or overnight before serving. Serve with Bananas Foster Sauce and vanilla ice cream.
- To make banana fosters sauce, combine ingredients in a large skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Add bananas, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.
- Heat rum in a small saucepan over medium heat (do not boil). Quickly pour rum over banana mixture, and immediately ignite with a long match just above the liquid mixture to light the fumes (not the liquid itself). Let flames die down; serve immediately with Buttered Rum Pound Cake.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION