Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from my aunt. I'm not sure how many pasties it makes, it depends on the size. We just keep making batches of dough until all of our filling is used up. Diced potatoes, cubed beef (or ground beef), onions, sometimes carrots, garlic, salt and pepper are what we use in our filling.
- 3 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups shortening or 1 1⁄3 cups butter flavor shortening
Liquid mixture (best in a 1 cup measuring cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cold water (add cold water to make 1 cup)
- In a medium bowl, cut first two ingredients with a pastry cutter (or forks) until fine and crumbly.
- In a 1 cup measuring cup (or see-through measuring cup) add egg, vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Add enough cold water to make 1 cup, stir mixture well.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour and shortening until combined.
- Do not over-work dough or crust will be tough and not flakey.
- Roll out, between plastic wrap works well.
- Fill with your favorite pasty filling.
- Bake at 350-375°F for approximately 60 minutes, or until crust is browned and filling is cooked.
- *You can brush with an egg-wash before baking for a nice light brown crisp.