This is my burrito filling recipe. I am bad about measuring and even worse about writing it down and changing it as I go. Feel free to taste test this and add stuff that your family enjoys! Please let me know your ideas! This uses my seasoning Taco Seasoning - Budget Friendly Seasoning for Tacos, Burritos.. 166030. If you are using another, use the amounts specified for that particular one. The amount here would equal two, 1.25 store bought packets.
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey, cooked or 2 lbs cooked chicken, cut up and shredded
- 1 white onions or 4 -6 green onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons taco seasoning, Using Taco Seasoning - Budget Friendly Seasoning for Tacos, Burritos..
- 6 ounces water or 6 ounces beer or 3⁄4 cup broth
- 14 ounces stewed tomatoes or 1 pint tomato, home canned
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro stem, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Saute onion in a large skillet adding garlic and cilantro during the last minute or two.
- Add meat and seasonings and stir well. Allow to saute for a minute or two, letting the meat absorb some of the flavors.
- When it seems that it is really dry and the mixture is starting to stick add the tomatoes and liquid and scrape all the browned bits from the bottom. TONS of flavor there. Add sugar if using. ( The sugar makes the tomatoes taste more like home grown and home canned or even organic).
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or so. When you are ready to use the mixture return heat to high and cook off almost all the liquid so that your filling is not runny or wet.
- Use to fill tortillas or in a casserole.